My grandmother does not watch Filipino films unless it’s a John Lloyd Cruz-Bea Alonzo movie. That’s how much grandmother loves John Lloyd and Bea. So, to all the John Lloyd-Bea fans out there, and to those who are not, this post is for you.
In an effort to get to know John Lloyd Cruz better, we’ve compiled some trivial-to-interesting things about John Lloyd Cruz.
1. John Lloyd Cruz’s real name is John Lloyd Espidol Cruz (no-brainer, right?). He’s one of a few actors to use their real name as their screen names. He was born on June 24, 1983. His childhood nicknames were “Juward” and “Idan”.
2. John Lloyd Cruz finished his grade school at Marikina Catholic School in 1996. He was later discovered by a talent scout in a mall while hanging out with friends. Due to his father’s ailing marble business, Cruz decided to enter showbiz to help his family recover from financial problems. He first appeared in the now-defunct crime and investigative series Calvento Files. This was followed by several guesting and shows. At the age of 14, he became a member of ABS-CBN’s Star Magic, where he became an alumnus of Batch 5. He was also a member of the then-teen trio called Koolits with Baron Geisler and Marc Solis.
3. The beginnings of the John Lloyd-Bea love team can be traced back to 2002. In 1999, John Lloyd starred in the teen drama Tabing Ilog alongside Kaye Abad, playing the role of Rovic. The series was successful where it lasted for five years. His breakthrough role came in 2002, when he was chosen to play Yuri in Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay where he was paired with future love team Bea Alonzo – that is the beginning of the John Lloyd-Bea tandem we all love.
4. In 2009, YES! magazine named him The Philippines’ third most powerful celebrity.The following year, YES! placed him at the third position on its list of the 100 Most Beautiful Stars.
5. John Lloyd’s role in his film “Honor Thy Father” was very challenging for him. He had to do a lot of “firsts”.
- According to Direk Erik, John Lloyd did all the stunts on the film which included swimming in the lake and crawling inside cramped caves.
- For the first time, John Lloyd had his head shaved. According to Meryl, John Lloyd was crazy nervous prior to shaving his head for the role particularly since it was his first time to do it. To inspire, Lloydie, Direk Erik had his head shaved first. Cool.
- Since he’s known for portraying the traditional leading men roles, Direk Erik shared that John Lloyd had to learn how to use a gun and mining equipment for the film. It was apparently also the first time that John Lloyd had to have prosthetics placed on his face.
- John Lloyd initially had a pretty tough time uttering all the expletives while they were still script reading.